In today’s digital-first world, organisations are rethinking their communications and telephony service to increase efficiency, save costs and reduce complexity.
Unified Communications (UC) is the answer to this need, blurring the boundaries of telephony and merging it with instant messaging, video conferencing and a plethora of different applications, such as CRM systems, contact centres, and reporting. Since its release in 2017, Microsoft Teams has significantly impacted the UC market thanks to its ease of use, free inclusion in most Microsoft business licenses, and slick desktop integration.
As an integral part of Microsoft 365 E3 and E5 business licenses, many organisations have chosen Teams as their preferred collaboration solution. With its free instant messaging, voice
and video features, Teams is a no-brainer for businesses that are looking to simplify their internal communications.
In order to fully unlock Teams’ telephony capabilities, organisations will have to either adopt Microsoft Calling Plans, or Microsoft Direct Routing. Both options require a phone system add-on licence for every user who requires voice enablement. Microsoft’s Phone System add-on is included in Enterprise E5 licences.
Calling in Teams – What are the differences between Microsoft’s Calling Plan and Teams Direct Routing?
Microsoft Calling Plans
Microsoft Calling Plans is a fully cloud-deployed solution provided entirely by Microsoft. Calling Plans come in different sizes depending upon the number of minutes needed. While this might
seem an ideal solution for smaller businesses, Microsoft minutes bundles are inflexible and expensive when compared to Direct Routing or a fully integrated UC solution.
Microsoft Direct Routing is a much more flexible, accessible, and cost-effective alternative to Microsoft Calling Plans, enabling users to make and receive calls using a standard telecoms provider, such as Krome.
- Download the full Calling in Teams Datasheet here.
Microsoft Teams Direct Routing
Give your Teams a voice with confidence – benefit from a highly reliable, resilient architecture with Direct Routing from Krome Technologies, in partnership with the UK’s No.1 SIP Trunking provider with simple provisioning, enhanced call control features and carrier grade infrastructure.
By using Direct Routing for Microsoft Teams, you can enable full voice capability natively into Microsoft Teams, as an alternative to Microsoft calling plans, and without the need for on-premise hardware. Direct Routing utilises Microsoft certified Session Border Controllers (SBCs) to deliver better value, greater flexibility, increased functionality and support for migration, all as a cloud-based service.
Direct Routing provides connectivity to your Microsoft Team’s tenant enabling full PSTN breakout on the public telephone network. Connection from Microsoft Teams to our network is via an IP connection and is delivered as an end-to-end service with high availability.
Why Direct Routing?
Microsoft Teams – Direct Routing combines the pedigree of the UK’s leading SIP Trunk provider with the ubiquity of the world’s largest business communications platform.
- Cost Savings – Significant cost saving per user when compared to Microsoft’s calling plans – maximising existing Office 365 license cost.
- Complete Cloud Solution – Cloud-based solution with no expensive initial outlay as there’s no need for traditional hardware.
- Never Miss a Call Again – Tailored business continuity with network and number resilience to keep your business working.
- Agile Working – This allows for flexible and remote working and enables a fully collaborative approach.
- Advanced Call Statistics – Advanced management information relating to call handling efficiencies, productivity, call patterns and caller behaviour, including time to answer, waiting time and outcomes.
- 01, 02, 03 & 08 Number Termination – 01, 02, 03 & 08 Termination with no number translation. *Natively terminates on the endpoint but termination charges would still apply for 08 numbers only.
- Access to Education Community – Using “Janet Connected” accreditation connections means that we can provide IP voice services to the education community in a direct manner.
- Number Porting – No need to lose your business numbers. You can keep the same geographical number wherever you are.
We are committed to delivering you a superior level of service.
Krome partners with one of the largest telephony network operators in the UK, with a reputation built on technical expertise and voice service delivery, together we have an in-depth experience of SIP implementations, working with organisations of all sizes.
Our voice services can be fully integrated into MS Teams with full PSTN breakout. We have triplicate entry points into Microsoft Azure providing high levels of resilience and availability. We have the interconnects so you don’t have to.
If you would like further information about our Telephony Services or how it could work for your organisation, please download our datasheet here or alternatively, contact us or complete the form below and a member of the Krome team will be in contact.
Find out how you can easily make and receive calls by enabling Teams as a full cloud-based Unified Communications solution, with enterprise-grade telephony. This datasheet explains what is required to enable Teams for calling, and what the benefits are of using a Direct Routing option over the standard Microsoft calling plan.