Intranet & Extranet Design
What is an Intranet and Extranet?
An intranet is essentially a secured private network held within your organisation most commonly in the form of a web site for the dissemination of information and technical resources. Typically it may provide access for your employees to useful features such as a company calendar, latest news, latest events, ongoing projects, access to file resources such as document, brand and image libraries and other interactive features such as a company wiki, message board / forum, blogs and surveys.
An extranet can be viewed on as part of your intranet which is extended for use of users outside of your company such as vendors, suppliers, partners, customers, press etc. Used for the distribution of data and resources you would wish them to be able to access. Again this can be reached in the form of a web site or may appear as a section of your main intranet site.
Typical Intranet & Extranet Functionality:
- News & Announcements
- Company Calendar / User Calendar
- Integration with Outlook (calendar, contacts, inbox, mail and tasks – SharePoint only)
- Image Library, Document Library, Brand Library (automatically integrated into your servers filing system – SharePoint only)
- Useful Contacts
- Useful Links
- Message Board / Forum
- RSS Feeds
- Search functionality to cover all of the above content (SharePoint only)
How can we Help?
Krome can help you whatever your intranet or extranet requirements, we have a dedicated team with years of bespoke web application programming experience who have designed intranet / extranet applications for companies including BT Cellnet and PricewaterhouseCoopers. Our intranets can be tailored to your budget and depending upon your requirements can be based on smaller web based content management systems such as WordPress or more fully featured applications such as Microsoft SharePoint, which offer full integration with your existing Microsoft applications and servers.
Microsoft SharePoint Intranet / Extranet (WSS & MOSS)
Microsoft SharePoint is the perfect platform with which to build most organisations intranets and extranets. It encompasses a collection of web browser based components to give you access to process management and document management as well as a huge selection of in built components to provide all the functionality outlined in our intranet overview as well as a fully integrated search to help you find exactly what your looking for in any of the content held on your intranet as quickly as possible.
Unlike other intranet platforms it is designed specifically to be completely integrated into your current Microsoft applications such as office giving you access to your calendar, contacts, inbox, mail and tasks and works seamlessly with your Microsoft server’s current document and user security setup helping to save time and costs on implementation.
A Typical Intranet Task Made Easy with SharePoint:
The site user wishes to create a new document for the document library based upon a predefined template already put in place by the marketing department:
- The user browses to the document library or searches for the type and title of the document template.
- Upon finding the Word document template the user selects to open it, SharePoint automatically opens the document directly into Word ready for editing. SharePoint asks for their username and password and based upon the privileges either gives full access to it (which would allow them to modify its look and feel and save the template again, perfect for admin / marketing) or open a read only version which would allow them to create a new document based upon it as a template and save it.
- After creating the new document the user saves it directly back into the document library on the server (where it will be integrated into the intranet and can be found in the document library or via search). SharePoint makes a note of who last edited the document, and when so that versioning can be kept fully up to date.
- The user exits Word and is automatically put back into SharePoint to continue work.
By working in this manner the user hasn’t had to download a version of the document to their computer, edit it then upload it again. This has the advantage of insuring the latest version of any document is always stored on the intranet and available to all employees.
Should you have specific requirements which are outside of our intranet functionality list SharePoint has an excellent user community which may already have written and released a component which meets your requirements which we can then integrate. Alternatively our in house coding team can write you a custom component to meet your exact requirements.